- For fighter info, see Sonic (SSBB).
|Sonic the Hedgehog|
Sonic, as he appears in "Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing"
|Debut||Sonic the Hedgehog (1991)|
|Console of origin||Mega Drive/Genesis|
|Species||Mobian (African Pygmy Hedgehog)|
|Created by||Naoto Ōshima|
|Designed by||Video games|
Naoto Ōshima (Sonic the Hedgehog)
Akira Wantabe (Sonic the Hedgehog)
Yuji Uekawa (Sonic Adventure)
|English voice actor||Video games|
Ryan Drummond (1999-2004)
Jason Griffith (2005-2010)
Roger Craig Smith (2010-present)
|Japanese voice actor||Video games|
Keiko Utoku (1993)
Takeshi Kusao (1993)
Junichi Kanemaru (1998-present)
Sonic is a male, 15 year-old anthropomorphic Mobian Hedgehog. He has spiky blue hair, green eyes, and red running shoes. He is only one meter (3ft 3in) tall (though, in his appearance in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, his height is obviously increased). As his name suggests, he is capable of running at supersonic speeds. The self-described "coolest, blue-est hedgehog alive", he has a bit of an attitude and is impatient, but cannot resist helping someone in need.
He values freedom above all else, and constantly campaigns to free animals imprisoned by the evil Dr. Robotnik (also known as Dr. Eggman). Generally speaking, Sonic loves being able to do what he wants and loathes being constrained. He gathers golden rings for energy, and when he collects the seven Chaos Emeralds, he becomes Super Sonic, with yellow fur and red eyes, capable of flight. Most of the time, every challenge he faces seems fun to him; another chance to get moving. However, he does take time to relax once in a while.
In Super Smash Bros. MeleeEdit
- See also: Sonic & Tails Rumor
In Super Smash Bros. BrawlEdit
- Main article: Sonic the Hedgehog (SSBB)
Sonic is a playable character in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, confirmed on October 9th, 2007. He has the fastest running speed in the game, with attacks based largely on his earlier platforming games, and some from the obscure game Sonic the Fighters. During Sonic's Final Smash, Super Sonic, he says "Now I'll show you!" allows the player to fly around the stage at incredible speed. Sonic also appears very late in the game's story mode, helping to defeat Tabuu in the final battle. However, he is not a starter, and can be quite difficult to control, but works extremely well if mastered. His recovery consists of making a natural spring beneath his feet, allowing him to jump exceptionally high. He can charge into a ball and ram people, which if they are at high damage, is able to knock them off the screen.
- Sonic, Link, Donkey Kong, and Snake are the only characters in the Super Smash Bros. series to be featured in another fighting game. Sonic appeared as a playable character in Sonic the Fighters, Sonic Battle and in Sonic Smash Brothers BETA.
- Before fighting alongside Mario in Brawl, the two characters' universes formally met in Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games - which, true to its title, was set at the 2008 Beijing Summer Olympics, and featured various characters from both series.
- Sonic's victory theme is directly ripped from Sonic the Hedgehog (2006), the only one that isn't remixed.
- Normally, Sonic has green eyes, but when he breaks a Smash Ball his eyes turn gold, and when he becomes Super Sonic, his eyes turn red. He used to have black eyes.