A Star Knock-Out or Star Finish (abbreviated as Star KO) is a type of KO. When a character is knocked beyond the upper blast line (save for a few exceptions, see below), they fly through the background, yell/scream/etc, and eventually disappear as a star. In Super Smash Bros. Melee and Super Smash Bros. Brawl, there is also a random chance of a Screen KO instead, where the opponent hits the camera.
In Super Smash Bros., members of a team (such as the Fighting Polygon Team) do get Star Ko'd. In Melee, members of a computer team (such as the Fighting Wire Frames) don't experience Star KOs, instead undergoing the usual colorful explosion (However, in Event Match 37, they can get Star KO'd). Also, in the beginning of the second trailer for Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Kirby uses his up smash to knock Mario and Link off the top of the screen, but the usual colored explosion occurs, instead of a Star KO. The Star KO is still in this game.
- Star KO: Star KO an opponent.
- Solar Being: Get star KO'd.
- Comet Mystic: Get Star KO'd with an opponent.
- The Star KO could be a reference to the Pokémon anime series, as when Team Rocket gets defeated, they occasionally (but not always) get sent flying and shout "We're blasting off again!" before vanishing into a star.
- Any conditions on the character are seen in the Star KO, such as if a character is KO'd while frozen, or has a Smash Ball when they are KO'd. In Flat Zone 2 and Hanenbow, conditions are not aligned with the character (i.e. the frozen block and character fly off separately).
- Giant/tiny characters who are Star KO'd remain giant/tiny while falling on the background (their "falling voice" remains deep/tiny as well). On the other hand, Star KO'd metal characters appear in normal conditions on the background (inc. voice). The only exceptions are the Metal opponents in Melee's 1 Player modes. In Super Smash Bros. Brawl, when giant/tiny characters gets Star KO'd, they will return to normal size.
- If Kirby has copied another character's abilities and gets Star KO'd, he will appear as a normal Kirby while disappearing into the background.
- While it is generally impossible to self-destruct as a Star KO, there are a few ways: one can stand on a platform above the upper blast line or get launched upwards by Pikachu's Quick Attack in the highest platform of Hyrule Castle (only in Super Smash Bros.), Wario's fully charged Wario Waft, Snake's C4, Jigglypuff's Shield Jump or two timed Sonics using the Homing Attack
- If King Dedede is Star KO'd while using his Down Aerial Attack, the respective sound will remain until he disappears.