Time is a setting in Versus Mode in which the winner is determined by whoever gains the most points within a certain number of minutes. A point is gained by KO'ing an opponent, while falling or self-destructing loses a point. In SSBM, the number of points lost for SD'ing can be changed to 0, 1, or 2. The number of points each player has is usually invisible during play, although it can be made visible (though Score Display in SSBM, or during replays in SSBB) or revealed through the big screen of Pokemon Stadium and Pokemon Stadium 2. It is the default mode in Brawl and Melee.
If there is a tie for most points when time expires, Sudden Death occurs between all tied players.
The length of a match can be set to any whole number of minutes from 1 to 99, as well as infinite for a match that cannot end without quitting.
Time change is a feature in Brawl where the day/night, seasons and day cycles are changed during brawling. Only three exist in-game; only one of these is affected by real-time.
The daily cycle is sped up for the background of this stage. A sundial behind the playable area shows the time of day as well.
- Evening: Everything turns more dark-red (more in the background, less on the stage).
- Night: Everything turns more dark-blue (again, more in the background than on the stage), the sub-platforms turn dark-blue with small blue stripes and stars and the moon can be seen.
- Dawn: Light is seen on the mountains range in the background.
Yoshi's Island Edit
The annual cycle of seasons is also greatly sped up for this stage's changes.
- Autumn: The gigantic flowers go down and the background turns more orange.
- Winter: The sky turns blue while the rest of the background is covered by snow, save for a few tips of grasses. It also snows.
- Spring: The sun comes out, the snow disappears, and the grass appears while they are turning from brown to green.
- Summer: The big flowers appear and everything becomes greener.
Like the Animal Crossing games, Smashville's time changes are based on the actual Wii system clock, and do not occur in the normal run of a match.
- Night: The background is dark, except for a few lights in the houses. Also, constellations can be seen in the sky.
- Saturday 8:00 PM: K.K. Slider holds a concert in the background, playing one of six different songs.