A Strong Up, also known as an Up tilt (abbreviated "u-tilt") is a tilt attack performed by any character by holding the control stick lightly upward and pressing A while on the ground. It is not always easy to pull off an Up Tilt quickly, as if you tilt too fast, you'll either jump or do an up smash instead. Turning off Tap Jump can help avoid the former problem, or you can jump and hold up on the control stick. More often than not, up-tilts are used for juggling, as they usually lack the knockback to disturb low damage combos outside of a few exceptions such as Ganondorf and Captain Falcon.
Kirby: One of the overall best tilts in all Super Smash Brothers games. Guarantees low percent combos against everyone. Incredibly high priority and a disjointed hitbox around twice the size of the original move. Extremely low starting and ending lag. Usually used into a short hop foward air, back air, or down air to tech chase. Back airs lead into them as well as down airs.
Pikachu: Good up tilt with good combo ability, some range, and high priority, used to combo into grabs and up smash usually. Too big an ending lag to rival Kirby's. Can be used after back airs and other aerials as well.
Ness: Good combo ability, low start up lag, but a very small range. Ness's staple combo move, usually used after a DJC to combo into DJCs.
Yoshi: Set knockback move, Yoshi's main combo starter vs fast fallers and medium weights. Sends Jigglypuff and Kirby too high to combo. Similar to Ness how it is usually used after a DJC to combo into DJC's. Also leads into up tilt to up smash kills. Too much ending lag but surprising range.
Captain Falcon: 2 hits, one while rising the knee, one by slamming it down, good knockback but low range and almost no combo ability outside of next to a wall.
DK: Too much starting and ending lag but good knockback and good range, best used as a surprise kill usually for lighter characters .
Mario: Good for combos, just has too much ending lag and moderately low priority.
Luigi: Similar to Mario but with slightly more range, slightly more lag, and slightly more knockback. Combos into an up b or a up air usually.
Jigglypuff: Similar to Pikachu but slightly less versatile, quicker, and has less range. Good combo ability and works great into rest. A Staple Jigglypuff combo is down air, Up tilt x 3 (or more varying on character) and then a rest.
Samus: Considered one of the worst moves in the entire game. High lag both starting up and ending. Essentially Falcon's up tilt but with much less priority and much less knockback
Link: A very good combo starter. Usually used to combo into other up tilts or aerials, high priority but moderate ending lag. Good range. This move is further enhanced in the Japanese smash 64 due to its increased combo ability and increased range.
Fox: A good combo starter as well. Used into short hop down airs or into up airs. Too little range compared to the other "good" up tilts.
- Bowser (SSBM): Bowser claws upward.
- Captain Falcon (SSBM): Brings his leg up and brings it down in an axe-like way.
- Donkey Kong (SSBM): A fast upwards sweep,
- Fox (SSBM): Fox performs a quick and surprisingly strong vertical back kick.
- Ice Climbers (SSBM): The climbers twirl their hammers in a somewhat short-ranged by highly damaging way above themselves.
- Kirby (SSBM): Kirby thrusts his back leg upwards.
- Link (SSBM): A quick arced slash above him.
- Mario (SSBM): Mario punches upwards.
- Ness (SSBM): Ness thrusts his hands upward, as if hitting a volley ball.
- Pikachu (SSBM): Pikachu swings its tail above its body in an arc.
- Peach (SSBM): Bashes her crown upwards.
- Samus (SSBM): Raises her leg and brings it down
- Sheik (SSBM): Kicks up, and lets her leg down in an axe-like way.
- Yoshi (SSBM): A fast but very short ranged tail swipe to the air.
- Zelda (SSBM): Waves her hand in an arch above her, her hand filled with sparks.
- Dr. Mario (SSBM): Dr. Mario punches upwards.
- Falco (SSBM): Flips his leg behind him.
- Ganondorf (SSBM): Lifts his leg up, charges, and then brings his leg down violently, creating an explosion. Stronger than his already very powerful Up-Smash
- Jigglypuff (SSBM): Extends its foot upwards quickly.
- Luigi (SSBM): Luigi's up tilt is a swipe that arcs over Luigi's head.
- Marth (SSBM): Swings his sword in a large arc above his head, front to back.
- Mr. Game & Watch (SSBM): Mr. Game & Watch pulls out a number seven flag and waves it upwards.
- Pichu (SSBM): Swipes it's tail in an arch above it.
- Roy (SSBM): Upwards slash, similar in appearance to neutral attack.
- Young Link (SSBM): Swings in an arc above himself.
- Mewtwo (SSBM): Mewtwo flips upward, hitting with its tail.
Mario: Spins around with his fist slightly above his head level can combo somewhat.
Luigi: Hooks forward with his fist, has surprisingly high range.
Bowser: Slashes above himself in an arc with high range. Is a quick move, and has more knockback than his uncharged up smash.
Donkey Kong: Swings his arm above himself in an arc. Extremely good range.
Diddy Kong: A lot like Donkey Kong's Up Tilt, but with less range. It is also a lot faster. Surprising knockback, can be used as a kill move at high percents.
Yoshi: Swipes his tail above himself. Usually only hits opponents behind Yoshi.
Wario: Lifts both hand above his head.
Link: Slashes above himself in a wide arc. Has exactly the same range as his Usmash. Decent speed.
Zelda: Swipes her hand in a slow wide arc, with magic trailing it. Very high knockback.
Sheik: Kicks upwards, then brings her leg down for a second kick. The second kick has decent knockback, anyone hit with the first kick will usually be hit with the second kick.
Ganondorf: He brings his leg upwards in a splits-like position, charges for a few seconds, then brings it down with a huge, powerful explosion. In Brawl, a vacuum effect occurs while he is charging it. Rare in that it's stronger than his up-smash.
Toon Link: Identical to Link's, but with a little less range, though it has more range than his up smash and it can be used as a comboer at low percents and a finisher at high percents.
Samus: Swings her leg downwards. Like Ganondorf's, but with much less start-up lag, needless to say, and less power/knockback.
Zero Suit Samus: Kicks her legs upwards in a scissor-kick motion.
Pit: An odd, double (can do triple if very close, hitting with his blades) hitting handstand-kick.
Ice Climbers: They point their hammers upwards, spinning them.
R.O.B.: Pushes upwards with his arms.
Kirby: Flicks his foot upwards behind himself, combos into it self.
Meta Knight: Points his sword upwards and spins. 3 different hitboxes; the one on Meta Knight's sides gives 6% damage, the one on his sword's sides give 7% damage, and the one on his sword's tip gives 8% damage. Decent knockback at the tip.
King Dedede: Jumps upwards, headbutting. Suprisingly, it has higher knockback than his uncharged Usmash. Similar in function of Snake's up tilt, being fast and powerful, only that it has shorter range. Hitbox around his entire body.
Fox: Flicks his leg upwards. Good juggling move.
Falco: Arcs both arms upwards in a multi-hit attack.
Wolf: Hops with his foot above his head. There is a sweetspot on his foot. Other than that, it is similar like Fox's up tilt save for a very different animation.
Captain Olimar Spins upwards in place, similar to his nair. Hits many times. The last time it hits, it does more damage and knockback. Incredibly high priority.
Captain Falcon: Identical to Samus's with higher knockback.
Pikachu: Swings its tail upwards. Has surprisingly great range.
Squirtle: Hops upwards, hitting with its head, very quick
Ivysaur: Pushes upwards, vines planted on the ground.
Charizard: Points wings upwards and jabs the opponent, nice range.
Lucario: Arcs its foot around himself. Aura imbued. Very good juggling capacities like Marth's.
Jigglypuff: Flicks its foot upwards behind it. Small hitbox in front, large hitbox behind and above.
Marth: Slashes upwards. Can combo by itself and kill at higher percents.
Ike: Moves sword upward horizontally above average knockback.
Ness: Pushes hands upwards, hands grow slightly bigger. Good priority.
Lucas: A mentally powered flip kick, with PSI energy at the end of his feet. Can combo from his Down Throw.
Mr. Game & Watch: Waves a flag with the number 1 on it upwards. Good for juggling.
Snake: Quickly kick his leg upwards. Deceivingly large range. Has good KO potential at damages over 80%. Considered the best up tilt in the game.
Sonic: A spinkick upwards, similar to Captain Falcon's Usmash. Both kicks do 7%.
Notable up tilts include:Edit
- Marth's up tilt, a high-range, upward swipe with the sword that combos into subsequent up tilts, grabs and forward smashes at low damage, and can kill enemies at high damage.
- Ganondorf's up tilt has the longest set startup of any move in SSBM; in Brawl, it also creates a vacuum that draws other characters towards him. Strongest tilt by far, especially in Melee.
- Fox, Lucario, Mario, and Luigi for its juggling capabilities. Lucario's also attacks both sides of him, making it a useful juggle and damage technique.
- Zelda's up tilt can kill off the top and under 100%.
- Snake's Up tilt is quite possibly the most feared up tilt in the game with its high knockback, fast start up and cool-down time, and huge disjointed hitbox.
- King Dedede has more knockback than his uncharged up smash and has the second highest knockback of any up tilt, with Ganondorf being first.
- Kirby's up tilt, overall, is considered one of the best moves in any Smash game, as the move has incredibly good priority, very good combo ability, and has a gigantic disjointed hitbox.